Female Genital Mutilation (FGM) & Breast Ironing
Feb 08, 2019
In light of the recent headline news, 'A woman who mutilated her three-year-old daughter has become the first person in the UK to be found guilty of female genital mutilation' (full article here), and our responsibilities in safeguarding this area of abuse, along with similar practices such as Breast Ironing, we have produced some documents to help explain these abuses, their signs and symptoms, and what we can do as practitioners if we suspect any of our children and young people may be suffering from them. Please see attached info on both FGM & Breast Ironing.
We have also found further resources that could be of use to you, such as the National FGM Centre's Direct Work Toolkit. This is a free download to support professionals educate and explore views with children and parent(s)/carer(s) on FGM. The pack contains activity plans, resources and more to enable professionals to work effectively with families and children around FGM.
There are also links below for training opportunities and further reading:
- NSPCC Course: https://learning.nspcc.org.uk/child-abuse-and-neglect/fgm/
- References and resources from NSPCC: https://learning.nspcc.org.uk/child-abuse-and-neglect/fgm/#heading-top
- Home Office FGM training: https://www.fgmelearning.co.uk/
- Government info and documents: https://www.gov.uk/government/collections/female-genital-mutilation
- Government resources: https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/female-genital-mutilation-resource-pack
If you have any queries about this information, or would like any support with a safeguarding query, please get in touch with our Safeguarding Lead, Abby Wilkins, via email on email@example.com.