Registering for DBS online Update Service allows your DBS to become portable and valid for use at different employers when carrying out work within the same or similar role, and within the same workforce.
This also eliminates the need for repeated paper DBS checks, as once an initial paper one is completed and you are registered for the Update Service, you just need to maintain renewal online every year to be up-to-date.
This means no delays, as there is no posting off of forms, everything is current and live online.
Employers can also check the status of your DBS instantly online, and you can commence employment with immediate effect. No wait for receipt of DBS certificates!
Information from gov.uk about the online Update Service:
You need to register to use the update service.
Registration costs £13 per year (payable by debit or credit card only) for paid staff. There’s no charge if you’re a volunteer.
How to register
If you’ve not yet applied for a DBS check, you can register for the update service using your application reference number (the ‘form ref’ on your application form). DBS must receive your application form within 28 days.
If you’ve already applied, you can register for the update service using your DBS certificate number. You must do this within 30 days of the certificate being issued.
You can use the DBS tracking service to check the progress of your DBS certificate.
What you get
You’ll be able to take your DBS certificate from one job to the next, unless:
- an employer asks you to get a new certificate
- you need a certificate for a different type of ‘workforce’ (for example, you have an ‘adult workforce’ certificate and need a ‘child workforce’ certificate)
- you need a different level certificate (for example, you have a standard DBS certificate and need an enhanced one)
The employer can tell you what DBS certificate they need you to have.
Once you’ve registered, you can use the update service to:
- add or remove a certificate
- give employers permission to check if anything’s changed on your certificate
- see who’s checked if anything’s changed on your certificate
- view your details
Renewing your subscription
A subscription to the update service lasts for one year.
You can renew your subscription through the update service, either:
- when you first register, by choosing automatic renewal
- up to 30 days before your current subscription ends - but you can’t renew on the last day of your subscription
Sign in to your account to renew your subscription.
If you don’t renew your subscription before it ends, you’ll need to apply for a new DBS check and register for the update service again.